What is Kali Eskrima-Arnis / JKD?
The Filipino Martial Art Kali Eskrima-Arnis/JKD, is a complete fighting system and it is unique in that unlike other oriental martial arts, students learn how to control and deal with weapons first before moving on to empty hands training and techniques, That is because lots of the empty hand techniques come from either the single or double stick, knife dagger, or sword techniques. And drilling with weapons increases both sensitivity and coordination which can then be translated to empty hand techniques.
Loukas Kastrounis was taught Kali Eskrima-Arnis, Jeet kune Do,
by, Nino Bernardo-Dan Inosanto the instructor of Bruce Lee
Guru Dan Innosanto Mentor of Bruce Lee
Master Dan Inosanto And Bruce Lee.
Kali Eskrima-Arnis/JKD does not have forms or Katas,
but has a logical progression which is:
- Single Stick – drilling with emphasis on single direct attack/counter-attack and stick disarms
- Eskrido – stick & empty hand grappling & locks
- Arnis – single and double stick
- Knife Fighting – Including disarms
- Dulo-Dulo – Double edged dagger or knife
- Mano-Mano – Empty hands drilling and trapping
- Panantukan – Filipino boxing
- Sikaran/Pananjakman – Low kicking
- Dumog – Locks and grappling
- Bakaw – Long staff
- Empty hand, knife and stick – sparring unprotected or with body armour as some schools prefer
- Chuko – Use of nunchuka
- Balisong – Butterfly knife Whip and chain